- David Koch, a prominent donor to the Republican Party and the conservative movement, has died at 79
- The details surrounding his death, including the date, time and cause are unclear
- Along with his brother Charles, David built his fortune as the co-owner of Koch Industries, the second-largest privately held company in the United States
- At the time of his death his net worth was an estimated $42.4billion, making him the 11th richest person in the world
- The Koch brothers were a lightning rod for criticism from the Democratic Party and environmental activists
- During his lifetime he contributed hundreds of millions of dollars to philanthropic causes, particularly medical research
Billionaire businessman David Koch, one of the richest men in the world and a prominent Republican party donor, has died.
‘Sources close to the family say David Koch has died,’ New Yorker reporter Jane Mayer tweeted on Friday morning, breaking the news.